Sunday, December 23, 2018

I'm updating tracklists and posting mixes for download on Archive dot org

I have a few announcements for the show Dream Apnea on KOWS 92.5FM.

First, I'll be taking the time before the end of the year to get all the previous shows' tracklists posted.

As for the most recent show and future shows, I will not be posting tracklists and soundbite sources as a default.  I addressed the issue I ran into with this on the most recent show from Dec. 19th 2018.  Hopefully I explained myself well, but long story short, I was shelving show ideas because keeping track of the sample names and authors became inconceivable as I've attempted to put more stuff, soundbites, layered music tracks and soundscapes into the mixes.  Reading off the credits for the recent show can easily be 10-15 minutes that could have been more show content, and in my opinion it's quite boring for one thing, and for another it's like if at the end of every stage magic show it was manditory to reveil the secret reasons why each trick worked and that you shouldn't believe in magic anyway.  There is a magic in not knowing.  It allows the imagination to fill in the blanks, which is my main goal, really.  Get OTHER people's imaginations going.  Now, I have been very frustrated by dj mixes that had amazing tracks in them that I just couldn't not figure out what they were and it drove me crazy and even made me think not so nice things about the character of someone who wouldn't want to share what they've found.

So, with all that, I hope I've made a compromise here.  I won't be keeping track of what goes through the show for purposes of seeing just how detailed and full of a show a sample based collage show can be, and accomplishing the goal of keeping the magic element of the unknown (knowing the secret to a magic trick rarely makes seeing the trick MORE enjoyable, it might become undesirable to see again actually), while making the tracks for the first 7-8 months of shows available.  That way, if you are a new seeker of music like the stuff I play than you have more than a start into exploring the artists I play, and by the time you work through all that! you should have an idea of how to continue to find more of it and learn the rare joy of crate digging, or the modern day equivalent.  I've made public record most of my current "secret weapons" for the dance floor up to this date, much more than MOST DJs may ever reveal of their collections.  Perhaps I'm being prematurely defensive on this, but I know how it is to be starting and I wanted to throw the biggest proverbial bone at the true seekers out there that want to get started playing music.

What I'll probably do is get into making playlists of what I'm currently collecting listening to and playing periodically.  And of course, if there's a track you REALLY can't live without just ask me for the track ID (I won't turn away a request, and I wish other DJs had a similar policy, but seriously, the value of a track when it's unknown may be greater than when it's known, as I have, at least for myself, countless tracks I REALLY enjoy that I only found because I was flexing my detective skills to find just ONE track that I felt I couldn't live without, turning into 50 tracks, plus the skills to find more.  If I had a secret to finding music, it's that I've learned HOW to search, what blogs, djs, youtube channels, to follow.  Archive dot org, discogs, who-sampled, getting more and more specific with subgenres (experimental industrial dub anyone?), searching a track you already know you like on youtube and seeing if that uploader has other gems like it (usually they do) in their collection, and more strategies are all tools to be discovered for finding more music.  Ok, i think I've covered this enough.

The inner archivist in me obviously wants to document everything and share everything all the time, but the show's quality cannot suffer for it, so that's the main reason for the changeup.

Speaking of my inner archivist, I signed up an account at the web host page Archive . org under my tag LuCussin-Atcha, and I'll be uploading the collection of shows with the most Creative Commons Public Domain restriction-free option they have, along with full quality in studio recordings of the shows up to this point and continuing forward.  Mixcloud has been great, but I don't want people to NEED the internet to listen, and I don't think they stream at full 320 kbps (most of the free internet doesn't) so I'm going to make the show available for MP3 download at 320 kbps.  I also think archive dot org will do a bit more to fight for a show like this one to stay accessible. If the last show doesn't count as fair use i literally don't know what does, we'll see, what comes what may.

And finally to those that have been along for the ride, or who are just joining, welcome!  The train is only starting to roll on this project.

-Lucas aka LuCussin-Atcha aka DJ Other Wise

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment